Einstellungen
 

History of the town

Date

Event

around 1150

For the first time, the place "Werenboldeskirken" was mentionned.

around 1200

Construction of a  roman Church (St. Bartholomäus) with the Saint Michaels chapel.

1230

The places "Werrenbolzkirgen" and "Dabrezhusen" were mentionned in the St Andreas convent Cologne.

around 1300

"Dhünn" was mentionned in the "Liber Valoris" of the Cologne archdiocese at the forst time.

1360

Membership of the Bornefeld administration in the canton of Berg.

1559

The Reformation

1596

The annual fair (existing even today) was for the 1st time mentioned.

1630

The region suffered during the 2nd half of the 30 years war. The population decrease to 500 inhabitants.

1679

The Post office was mentionned for the first time into the "Thurn- und Taxis'schen Post".

1704

Construction of a little Catholic Church

1758

A devastating fire destroyed 77 houses and dependences.

1808

Mairie, the headquaters of the magistrates and the main place of the canton of Wermelskirchen was founded in 1806.

1815

Prussian rural village in the district of Lennep

around 1820

Progressive industrial development: manufacturing of "Lastinggewebe", stuffed toys, and ribbons.

1834

Creation of the blue artificial colouring agent ultramarine by Dr. Carl Leverkus. The manufacturing was transferred near the Rhein, later it was called Leverkusen.

1860

First manufacturing of shafts of "Lasting" for shoes

20.01.1871

Motion to the king of Prussia for elevating the status of a city

02.07.1873

Awarding of the town charter (Appointment of the order of the cities in Rhineland)

1876/1881

Construction of the railroadline Lennep - Wermelskirchen - Opladen

1886

First industrial production of shoes. The manufacturing of shoes was the most important industry up to the turn of the century. In 1975, the production of shoes was suspended. The production of castors and wheels developed in the course of the century became the most important branch of the industry.

1929

Dissolution of the district of Lennep. Wermelskirchen became a part of the new district of "Rhein-Wupper" (administrative section of Düsseldorf).

1938

Dissolution of the administrative department of Dabringhausen. Creation of the administration of Wermelskirchen with the City of Wermelskirchen and the municipalities of Dabringhausen and Dhünn.

1939

The freeway between Leverkusen and Wermelskirchen is finished.

1945

A little time before the end of the 2nd world war, the city rendered without resistance and became a military hopital for the American troops.

1960

Commissioning of the local hospital

1964

Sponsorship of the village of Querbach in Isergebirge (Niederschlesien)

1974

Twinning with the city of Loches/Touraine

1975

Dissolution of the administrative department of Wermelskirchen and grouping to form a new municipality appointed to " Rheinisch-Bergischen " region, an administrative section of Cologne.

1983

Inauguration of the new "centre of the citizens" and of the new Police station.

1988

Commissioning of the big Dhünntalsperre with 81 billions cubic meters of drinking water.

1990

Twinning with the city of Forst/Lausitz, Land Brandenburg

1991

Inauguration of the multipurpose community centre: "Kattwinkelsche Fabrik"

2000

The first stone was laid for the B 51n

2005

B51n is finished
      2008 The 25th anniversary of the "citizen centre" and of the town council.
22.04.2012 Opening of the "Panorama bike path Balkan route" in the cities Burscheid, Wermelskirchen and Remscheid
2014/2015 Extensive renovation of City Hall facade

Other informations about the History of the Town :

  • by the "Bergischen Geschichtsverein", department of Wermelskirchen
    Interlocutor:
    1. Chairman Volker Ernst, Berliner Straße 96, 42929 Wermelskirchen, Telephone Number (02196) 971834, Volker.Ernst@BGV-Wermelskirchen.de

    Archives of the "Bergischen Geschichtsverein" - department of Wermelskirchen - can directly be called with the telephone number (02196) 88 50 06. It is not continually available.

  • by the local archives of the city of Wermelskirchen
    Interlocutor: Petra Blumberg - Haupt- und Personalamt, Telegrafenstraße 29-33, Telephone Number (02196) 710-120
     
  • by the Internet portal "Archive in Nordrhein-Westfalen"